The official Government Right to Buy website

Housing association tenants

Ex-council homes (Preserved Right to Buy)

Most housing association tenants do not have the Right to Buy. But if you were a secure council tenant and were living in your home when it was transferred from your council to another landlord, like a housing association, then you may have a ‘Preserved’ Right to Buy.

This only applies if you were living in your home when it was transferred. It can also apply if you then move to another property owned by the new landlord. But it does not apply if you move to a property owned by a different landlord.

If you have the Preserved Right to Buy, then you can buy your home under the scheme in the same way as if you were still a council tenant. Your landlord will be able to tell you whether you have the Preserved Right to Buy or you can use our handy eligibility quiz.

Right to Acquire

If you don’t have a preserved Right to Buy you may still be able to purchase your property at a smaller discount under another scheme called Right to Acquire. This might change – you can sign up here to get updates on any changes as well as information about other government housing schemes.

You can find more details about Right to Acquire here and you can discuss whether you are eligible for this scheme with your landlord.

Future plans to extend Right to Buy

The Government has plans to extend Right to Buy to more housing association tenants. These plans are currently being developed and if you would like us to keep in touch about progress, you can sign up here.

Voluntary Right to Buy pilot

The Government has recently announced an expanded regional voluntary Right to Buy pilot scheme. Further detail on the roll-out of this pilot will be announced shortly.

This builds on the small initial pilot run by 5 housing associations. Registration for this pilot is now closed. If you have already registered your interest in the initial pilot, then your housing association should be contacting you

The housing associations that took part in the initial pilot and the Local Authority areas are listed in the table below:

Housing association Local authority areas
L&Q London boroughs:

  • Croydon
  • Enfield
  • Greenwich
  • Haringey
  • Lambeth
  • Lewisham
  • Newham
  • Southwark
  • Liverpool City Council
  • Halton Borough Council
  • Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council
  • Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
  • St Helens Metropolitan Borough Council
  • Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council
Saffron South Norfolk District Council
  • Cherwell District Council
  • West Oxfordshire District Council
  • Vale of White Horse District Council
  • South Oxfordshire District Council
Thames Valley
  • Guildford Borough Council
  • Hart District Council
  • Runnymede Borough Council
  • Rushmoor Borough Council
  • Woking Borough Council


Couple with keys

Housing association tenants

If you’re a housing association tenant currently not eligible for Right to Buy, you can get updates on changes that might affect you by signing up here.

Contact us

For free, friendly, impartial advice contact the Government's Right to Buy Agent service. Our advisers are available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Please remember to give the name of your landlord in any correspondence.

Got any questions?

We're just one click away...